Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homeschooling

After MUCH praying, my husband and I have decided to homeschool the 7 year old next year. He is currently in a private Christian school that I absolutely LOVE. However, the responsibility for educating him is ours, and even though we have delegated it to wonderful people with a strong Christian worldview and the teaching is Christ-centered, is it OK to get someone else to do our job? I have been praying for 2 years that my husband would let me homeschool Daniel. So this is certainly an answered prayer. Now I am really scared! When I pulled my then 5th grader out of public school and started homeschooling I was not intimidated at all. Now I am very intimidated. I am so thrilled with the education that Daniel was getting and now I am worried I won't do as well as they did. BUT incompetence is no excuse for disobedience. I will just be praying for competence.

I am very grateful that Daniel has attended this school and we may even let the little one go for a year or two. I am especially grateful that I got to see a classical model in motion. A classical education is something I had read about, but didn't have a clear picture of it in my head. Now that I have seen it work I am SOLD. We probably will end up somewhere between classical and Charlotte Mason. I think they are similar in many ways. I do like the memorization in the classical model and am daily amazed at what Daniel can memorize.

A new adventure for our family is in the making. I am truly excited. God is good!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! Though you had already told me this news in person. :)

    You know that God is faithful to equip you in this. Simply daily trust in Him to help you teach your children what they will need to know. You are not competing against anyone! Don't get caught up in thinking, "But they are doing this" and "But she does so much better in . . ." Every school, every family has strengths and weaknesses. Find your joy in the Lord daily and trust Him to guide you every step of the way! :)

    ReplyDelete