Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sexual Purity

Our youth are having a speaker the next couple of weeks. SHe will be talking about purity. Coincidentally I have been reading Pure Excitement-A Godly Look at Sex, Love, and Dating by Joe White. He doesn't necessarily promote saving your first kiss for your wedding day, but some of the youth in his book have made this decision. There is one story in the book where the author asks the girl he is counseling "How much of your husband's wedding gift are you going to give away to the guy you are dating now?" Of course she answered "zero", but that is easier said than done, especially in society today.

I do believe we are seeing a "purity revival" in the church. I pray that it will continue. I wish there was more tolerance for the kids who are choosing a different way than the way of standard recreational dating. I know in my family (extended and immediate) there are a couple of teens who are planning to wait until their wedding day for their first kiss. They get a lot of pressure from their friends, who are Christians. We have flip-flopped from where we were 60 years ago, when promiscuity received ridicule and purity was the norm.

I think of it like this: If your spouse was doing ___________ would that be considered adultery? If the answer is yes, then it must be if we are doing the same thing with someone's future spouse. That may be oversimplified a bit, but maybe we should err on the side of caution. I wish I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment